Reddit revealed that it reached 430 million monthly active users as of the end of October, up 30% year-over-year.
The network of interest communities also said it tallied 199 million posts, 1.7 billion comments and 32 billion upvotes as of the end of October, with monthly comments up 37% compared with 2018 and its monthly view count up 53%.
Reddit released its year in review report for 2019, and highlights follow.
The most upvoted posts in 2019 were:
- Given that reddit just took a $150 million investment from a Chinese-censorship powerhouse, I thought it would be nice to post this picture of “Tank Man” at Tienanmen Square before our new glorious overlords decide we cannot post it anymore., via r/pics, 228,000 upvotes
- I got off the horse by accident right before a cutscene in red dead, via r/gaming, 226,000
- People who haven’t pooped in 2019 yet, why are you still holding on to last years shit?, via r/askreddit, 221,000
- This person sold their VHS player on eBay and got a surprise letter in the mailbox., via r/pics, 215,000
- This is Dr Katie Bouman the computer scientist behind the first ever image of a black-hole. She developed the algorithm that turned telescopic data into the historic photo we see today., via r/pics, 215,000
The most upvoted Ask Me Anything sessions of 2019 were:
- Bill Gates, 110,000 upvotes
- Cookie Monster, 75,500
- Andrew Yang, 69,300
- Ex-scientologist Derek Bloch, 68,400
- Steven Pruitt, Wikipedian with over 3 million edits, 68,000
Reddit also shared more details on some of its key community verticals:
Reddit said 2019 was the year of beauty bloggers, “weddit” planning and skin care for self-care.
Subscribers jumped 63% year-over-year in the top 50 beauty communities and 52% in the top 50 style communities.
Feuding between beauty bloggers helped drive an 87% year-over-year subscriber leap in r/beautyguruchatter.
And r/skincareaddiction was the most popular beauty community on Reddit in 2019, surpassing 1 million subscribers earlier this year.
2019 was the year of a fast-food renaissance, recipe sharing and spirits on Reddit, with the top 50 food communities on the platform seeing a 35% year-over-year climb in subscribers.
Six recipe sharing communities cracked the top 100 food communities for the year, and Redditors washed all of that down with spirits, as r/homebrewing found itself in the top 10, while strong year-over-year gains were posted by r/tequila (99%), r/whiskey (52%), r/vodka (44%), r/bourbon (27%) and r/winemaking (16%).
On Reddit, 2019 was the year of expecting parents, baby name inspiration and blended families.
The platform saw an 87% year-over-year leap in family and parenting communities, with expecting parents propelling r/babybumps, r/tryingforababy and r/pregnant into the top 10 parenting communities for the year.
Parents turned to r/namenerds for baby name inspiration, driving subscribers in that community up 74% this year.
And the rise in blended families across the U.S. corresponded with an explosion in the r/blendedfamilies community, with year-over-year activity skyrocketing 501%.
Fitness and wellness
Keto, fasting and outdoor recreation ruled 2019 on Reddit, with the top 50 fitness and wellness communities seeing a 30% gain in subscribers versus 2018.
The No. 2 overall fitness and wellness community on the platform was r/keto, which saw subscribers climb 65% year-over-year.
And r/intermittentfasting and r/Fasting each cracked the top 15 for the category, with the latter tallying 99% subscriber growth compared with the previous year. In addition, r/omad—for OMAD (one meal a day), a form of intermittent fasting—saw a 108% year-over-year jump in activity, becoming the third-most-discussed diet trend on the platform.